Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers


Happy March! I don't know about you, but I definitely expect spring-like weather when we hit the month of March. John always reminds me that it's still winter, but a girl can hope, right? In spite of that, here is a great recipe for this interim weather. While the original calls for red bell peppers, the green peppers were cheaper so that made my decision quite easy!

I've made a few changes, but overall this recipe is pretty true to the original. It's light, low calories, and packed with flavors. We ate the leftovers within 12 hours, so that should speak volumes to this great dish. I'm off to type up and upload at least four more new recipes for the blog, so stay tuned for some good ones! :)

Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste
Serves 3-6, depending on portions



Ingredients:
*1 lb lean chopped turkey meat
*1 garlic clove, minced
*1/4 sweet onion, minced
*1 tsp garlic powder
*1 tsp cumin powder
*salt to taste
*3 large bell peppers, washed
*1 cup fat free chicken broth
*1/4 cup tomato sauce
*1 1/2 cups cooked rice
*Olive oil spray
*1/4 cup shredded cheese

Preparation:
*Heat oven to 400°.  

*Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium heat. Add onion and garlic to the pan.

*Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through.  

*Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Combine cooked rice and meat together.

*Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish. Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can.

*Place all stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes.

*Top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy!

Ground turkey | Turkey, seasoning & rice | Stuffed peppers | Out of the oven and topped with cheese



  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and great photos! I made these tonight and put my own spin on them - I used 1/2 a baja citrus spice pack, added a little lime juice, and also added some fresh cilantro. I also cooked the rice in chicken broth rather than water, which I almost always do. They were DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear it! Those are GREAT additions. Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I love your recipes but I have a difficult time trying to print them. Anything you can do to make print access easier from your site?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
I try to answer every comment, so please check back soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...